Best practices: Import non-transaction records
Bill.com offers the option to import non-transaction records and data.
Important Note: If you sync with an accounting software, we don't recommend importing records via CSV into Bill.com unless they don’t exist in your accounting software at all to avoid duplicates and sync errors.
Non-transaction record types
- Chart of Accounts
How the import works
The import works by checking Key Fields in Bill.com for a record to update. On the import preview page, the Action column will display if the line item will be a Create or an Update. If no matching record is found, the Action column will display Create, indicating a new record has been created. If more than one field is listed for a record, the Action column will display Update and both fields must match the record in Bill.com before the import attempts to update the record.
The import creates and updates records by checking the following Key Fields:
- Vendor Name*
- Customer Name*
Chart of Account
- Account Number
- Location Name*
- Location ID*
- Parent Location ID
- Job Name*
- Job ID*
- Parent Job ID
- Class ID*
- Parent Class ID
Things to know
- Fields denoted by an asterisk are required
- The user permissions required for importing data is Sync with Accounting System plus the corresponding permission for the object
- Import non-transaction records before importing transaction records
- Make sure all Key Fields in the import file are unique. Otherwise, an error will occur For example, attempting to import multiple Vendors with the same Vendor Name will result in an error. When a record type has more than one Key Field, the combination must be unique. For example, you may have Accounts with the same Account Name as long as they have different Account Numbers.
- If a field in the import file matches more than one record in Bill.com when creating or updating during an import, it'll result in an error
- If you leave a column blank in the import, it'll ignore that field when importing
- If an import fails, select the View link in the Action column to get more information and to download a CSV Error Report