Change accounting software or data file
If you are changing accounting software, or going from not using accounting software to using accounting software, you can make this change yourself if you have fewer than 10 syncable items (vendors, customers, items, GL accounts, transactions, etc. - active or inactive) in your account.
If you have more than 10 syncable items (active or inactive) in your account, or changing to a new data file in your existing accounting software, the change requires an assisted migration with a Customer Support team member to ensure a successful transition - we want to get you syncing again as soon as possible.
You can also opt to start a brand new Bill.com account to setup the new sync.
You must have manage company and sync permissions in your user role to make accounting software changes or request a migration.
Change the accounting software
You can only make this change yourself if you have fewer than 10 syncable items (active or inactive) in your account. If you have more list items than that, please request a migration using the steps below.
- Click Settings
- Click Preferences under Import/Export
- Click Change next to the existing software setting
- Select your new accounting software
- Click Save
If you are changing from no accounting software, QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop, to Intacct or NetSuite, and you are not on an accountant's console, please contact Sales to get setup with the correct price plan and help setting up the sync.
Request a migration
If you have more than 10 syncable items in your account and you need to change your accounting software or data file, contact Customer Support by clicking Contact Us at the top of this page and request a migration appointment. We'll work with you to set up an appointment with a migration specialist who'll be your point of contact throughout the process.
Time frame and cost
Each migration is unique. The cost and length of the process depends on several factors:
- Accounting software
- Amount of data
- What, if anything, needs to be resynced to the new accounting system
The migration specialist will assess the account and go over these details and communicate cost before any work is done.
Preparation for the migration
The standard migration process will configure the Bill.com account to sync to a different accounting software or data file. Here are a few tips to ensure a smooth transition:
Classifications (Chart of Accounts, Items, etc.)
All Classifications will be deactivated in Bill.com and Classifications in the new accounting software or data file will sync into Bill.com. Ensure that the Chart of Accounts and any other Classifications are up to date in the new accounting software or data file, as that is what will carry over to Bill.com.
Vendors and Customers
The Vendors and Customers in Bill.com remain active and will link together with existing Vendors and Customers in the new accounting software or data file, provided that the names are exactly identical (including capitalization, punctuation, and spacing).
If there is a vendor/customer in Bill.com that does not exist in the new accounting software or data file, it will be created there, and vice versa.
Best practice is to review the vendor and customer list from Bill.com and the new accounting software or data file prior to the migration, to ensure that both lists are an exact match, in order to prevent any duplications.
- For example, if there is a vendor named "Acme Inc" in Bill.com but the name is "Acme Inc." in the new accounting software, this will result in a duplicate in Bill.com and the new accounting software (one with the period and one without).
- If you are migrating to any version of QuickBooks Desktop, this is not the case. The vendors and customers in QuickBooks will sync into Bill.com, causing duplicates, which Support will merge.
Only Unpaid bills and invoices in Bill.com at the time of the migration will be allowed to sync to the new accounting software or data file. Any bill or invoice in a Scheduled, Partially Paid, or Paid status will not sync to the new accounting software or data file.
Transition to a new account
If you opt to start a new account, here are a few suggestions to to prepare for the transition:
- Set up a new Bill.com account, giving it a different name for easy identification
- Make sure the bank account is verified in the new account so payments can continue without interruption
- Do not leave any bills Unpaid in the previous Bill.com account
- In Bill.com, deactivate the bank account and all users in the previous account so they do not accidentally access the incorrect account
- For the previous account, request your Bill.com Documents on DVD ($50.00) by having an administrator on the account submit an on-line DVD request form
- Cancel the previous Bill.com account after the transition is complete to avoid any duplicate charges